JAPAN RAIL PASS ... The Key To Convenient Sight-seeing In Japan.
The JAPAN RAIL PASS is offered by the six companies that make up the Japan Railways Group (JR Group).
The most convenient, efficient, and economical to travel throughout Japan
Who is eligible for a JAPAN RAIL PASS?
The JAPAN RAIL PASS is a special ticket that is available only to travelers visiting Japan from foreign countries for sight -seeing. You are eligible to purchase a JAPAN RAIL PASS if you meet one of the following two conditions:
1.You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing,under the entry status of "temporary visitor"
"Temporary Visitor" entry status, according to Japanese Immigration Law, allows a stay in Japan of 15 days or 90 days for "sight-seeing, etc." If you apply for a "stay for sight- seeing" when you enter Japan, entry personnel will stamp your passport as "Temporary Visitor," as shown below. Only persons who have a passport bearing this stamp can use a JAPAN RAIL PASS.
Even if you visit Japan with an Exchange Order, to be turned in for a JAPAN RAIL PASS, the exchange cannot be made unless you have "Temporary Visitor" status; if you enter Japan under any other official status, such as "Trainee," "Entertainer," or "Reentry Permit," you cannot change the Exchange Order for a JAPAN RAIL PASS. Please note that according to strict interpretation of the Japanese Immigration Law, "Temporary Visitor" status differs even from other types of stays that are also for only short time periods.
2.You are a Japanese national living in a foreign country
a.who is qualified to live permanently in that country, or
b.who is married to a non-Japanese residing in a country other than Japan
Note: Persons meeting conditions a or b above must be required to show proof of same at the point of purchase of an Exchange Order and obtaining a JAPAN RAIL PASS.
Also note: The former condition about a Japanese national "who has been living in a foreign country for ten or more years" is discontinued from 1 April 2004 purchase.JAPAN RAIL PASS types and prices
There are two types of JAPAN RAIL PASS: Green (for superior-class Green cars), and Ordinary. Each of these types is available as a 7-day, 14-day, or 21-day PASS.See "JAPAN RAIL PASS validity", for services that can be used with a JAPAN RAIL PASS
JAPAN RAIL PASS validity
1. Transportation services
2. Train accommodations
- Most JR trains have Ordinary Cars (coach class) while many long-distance trains also offer Green Cars (superior class). With a Green- type JAPAN RAIL PASS you can use either class, while with an Ordinary- type JAPAN RAIL PASS you can use only Ordinary Cars without paying an additional charge. Refer to the table below for details
- The cars with can be used with JAPAN RAIL PASS
- Use of the cars with requires paying additional charges
- There are no Green Cars on most HIKARI and KODAMA trains on the Sanyo Shinkansen line (Shin-Osaka -Hakata), or on TSUBAME trains on the Kyushu Shinkansen line(Shin-Yatsushiro ・Kagoshima)
3. Validity period
- Within three months from the date the Exchange Order was issued, you must turn in your Exchange Order to obtain your JAPAN RAIL PASS. At that time, you have to specify the date that you want to start using the PASS. It can be any date within one month from the date the PASS is received.
- Once the PASS has a starting date written on it, the date cannot be changed
Where exchange orders are sold
JAPAN RAIL PASS Cannot be purchased inside Japan!!!
You need to purchase a JAPAN RAIL PASS Exchange Order from an authorized sales agent before you come to Japan.
How to turn in an Exchange Order to receive a Japan Rail Pass
You can not use an Exchange Order when you travel on JR lines. Turn in your Exchange Order and obtain your Japan Rail Pass at one of the Japan Rail Pass exchange offices.
Your Exchange Order must be turned in for a Japan Rail Pass within 3 months of the date the Order was issued.
At the JR Pass Exchange offices, fill in an application form to accompany your Exchange Order, and submit it, along with your passport, when you turn in your Exchange Order.
They type of Pass described on the Exchange Order can not be changed.
How to use reserved seat
Do not use an automatic ticket-reading gate with a Japan Rail Pass . Please show the Pass at a manned ticket gate.
Caution : Please note that during crowded periods you cannot be guaranteed a seat on a specific train. The periods when seat reservations are particularly difficult to secure are as follows.
* December 29 to January 5
Purchase an Exchange Order before you come to Japan!!!
Our handling Fee of Bt.400 will be applied per ticket.